Thursday, January 26, 2006

A million little lies?

Well, the James Frey story has been pretty inescapable here in North America. Frey was on Oprah today, Larry Kin just dedicated an hour to him and Anderson Cooper is doing the same, and I'm sure there have been many other outlets that have covered his story.

Frey is accused of fabricating and embellishing many details og his memoir, A Million Little Pieces. Unfortunately, I have not read the book. I would very much like to though.

While Frey is guilty of lying, I think others are just as guilty as he is. His lame publishers who I feel did not care one way or the other as long as they're making money. Oprah, who on her show commented about hoe the dentist scene should have brought warning flags to the publishers eyes, but then why is she excused? She read that same scene and up until now didn't seem to question it.

Frey is evidently a fantastic writer. His other bestseller, My Friend Leonard, is supposedly terrific.

4 Comments:

Blogger Scott the Reader said...

I've read them both, and if anything My Friend Leonard seems even more made-up.

3:48 AM  
Blogger Al said...

Ya, but it's a novel.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Scott the Reader said...

No, it's not -- or it wasn't, until this happened.

2:36 PM  
Blogger oneslackmartian said...

I think my biggest problem with this guy is that he thinks the rest of us must be idiots and that he could get away with his fabrication.

I haven’ read it, but it sounds like it would have been a success if he had just promoted it as what it is – a novel.

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter stats