Thursday, January 26, 2006

Query letter

I'm about to send out some query letters and was wondering if I should only include my logline or if I should include a synopsis as well?

How's this:

Dear ****

I got your contact information from SO AND SO.

I have just completed a spec screenplay entitled 'YOU HAVE TO REPRESENT ME'. and feel that you might be interested in it. It's a romantic comedy about BLAH BLAH BLAH...

Please let me know if you're interested in reading it and I will send it to you.

Thanks in advance.

ME

4 Comments:

Anonymous Chris Soth said...

Responding to this and previous post:

I'm guessing, in your position, you want to query everyone you can -- some managers will still do the work that good literary agents supposedly once did, helping you develop the script and nurturing it along till it's ready -- and since most of them are producers as well, they can get agents to read you.

I'd keep it to just a logline in the query letter. I think the info about where you heard of them can be omitted, UNLESS you have a reference from a client for producer. You might want to also include ANY information that legitimizes you as a writer, awards won, professional gigs, etc.

chris
milliondollarscreenwriting.com

11:31 AM  
Blogger Al said...

Thanks

11:38 AM  
Blogger Al said...

Should I offer to send in a synopsis though?

3:58 PM  
Blogger Danny Stack said...

IMHO, I think it's a very polite letter and it may not be quite punchy enough. Not that you want to irritate them or anything but you want to grab their attention. Instead of 'feel you might be interested in it', I'd go with something along the lines of: 'I've just finished a new horror/romcom/whatever which is a real white knuckle ride and ready for the market'.

Something like that. Positive and punchy.

5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter stats